Thursday, November 20, 2008

Charlie Bit My Finger - Again!

I was going to embed "Charlie Bit My Finger - Again!" into this blog, but since over 62 million people have viewed these cute little buggers, I think it's safe to say you have seen it, knows someone who has seen it, or will immediately look it up on youtube.

This online only video is a simple home video that started with a dad who wanted to film the kids for his distant relatives. He posted this home video on youtube specifically for this purpose, and it was nothing short of a internet phenomenon that made the video as big as it is. Not only are this kids precious, but their interaction is hilarious. Specifically, the facial reactions of the older brother as he realizes that his finger is in fact being bit, and it does in fact hurt.

He jokingly puts his finger in Charlie's mouth for the camera. Charlie bites. It's funny, the brother is thinking, and so he goes along with it. But wait, it hurts. OK Charlie, older brother thinks, it's hurting, so stop. When his forehead crinkles and he lets out that "ohhoh," that's when genuine panic sets in. In my warped mind, and in the hearts of many millions, thats when the film really gets good. Charlie finally lets go, older brother gets mad and yells. His cute mini british accent just warms my ignorant American heart even more.

Then, unknowing to his older brother's anger, Charlie laughs. All of a sudden older brother is no longer pissed, he chuckles with Charlie. Again, completely oblivious to his previous emotional status.

The fact that this blog has far surpassed the lengths of my previous blogs should show that online only videos take on a fury and spirit of their own. I know when the topic came up this afternoon, my residents were suggesting all sorts of dumb, hilarious material that would have never reached such success with any other form of distribution.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This video is a CLASSIC on youtube. How could it be disputed as anything other than film, especially with its tremendous popularity?

Anonymous said...

I see the summary, which is nice but I'm not sure its necessary. Is it still funny if you need to tell us its funny?

Anonymous said...

You make it seem like funny things are funny just because. Believe it or not, Rich B, things are funny for a reason. There are tangible sources to comedy, even if you question whether or not it is worth studying, I argue it is.

Anonymous said...

It is interesting too that people have requested more videos of these two, and they have been posted on youtube, but for some reason the videos following this one feel like home movies rather than short film, and yet they are all home movies AND film, and yet I value "Charlie Bit me" more than the others because of an apparent distiction between the two.

Anonymous said...

I just think its funny. thats all. that simple.

Anonymous said...

Thats an interesting point, Allie. I feel the same way, and I'm kind of guilty about it. Its like i forgot they were real kids and saw them more as characters in "Charlie Bit Me"

Anonymous said...

This video is definitely on my favorite list. nice piok.

Anonymous said...

I see what you are saying about the children being more character-like. I think its because the range of emotion going on in this film is so appropriate, it feels intentional when it isn't.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that is the thing, when there is a camera rolling, isn't it all intentional? Charlie definitely got a finger in his mouth (" - Again!") because the camera was on...

Anonymous said...

So does this mean that home movies are films? Because its a moment intentionally captured on film?